Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gruff Rhys in Singapore, 29 April 2011

I was beyond pscyhed when I discovered that one of my idols. I repeat. IDOL. GRUFF FREAKIN RHYS!!! is performing at TAB.


I spazzed and freaked out for a few hours and went absolutely beserked on Twitter. Needless to say, it was painful to read and super embarassing, I think. But you're talking about my favourite band ever. THE band for me. I survived my torturous teenage years thanks to the Super Furry Animals. OMG I LOVE THEM LAH!

It was an intimate set (very pleased with that). I wasn't familiar with TAB. It was dark and there was already a crowd when I arrived. The tables and chairs were placed sparsely apart. I looked over at the stage. There was a table filled with random objects (which we later found out: musical instruments - according to Gruff!).

Gruff appeared 15 minutes after he was scheduled to perform. He didn't make us wait for long! Impressed albeit VERY biased. :D He started his set by asking us to scoot nearer to him. Everyone basically got up and dragged their chairs and tables to the front. Quite a sight.

Here's the thing, I was smiling like a goon throughout the concert. Cause I'm a HUGE fan. It's pretty much irrelevant to do a review. I'll just gush about him. To be honest, there was nothing to critique. I'M NOT BEING BIASED I SWEAR. Haha.. Who am I kidding?

He was funny (there were ALOT of awesome jokes).

"I would like to dedicate this song to Phil Collins. And his retirement from his solo career."

"Can we turn all the lights off? I need to create an element of suspense and built up for this song. :they switched off a few lights, leaving the front lights on: Just those lights? We can't have total darkness. Okay. I'll try to make this work."

He was also quirkier than I thought. It's like he's in his own world. Tinkering with various items on the table in front of him. It really felt like show and tell. He'll pick up one object and told us a fact/story about it.

After he went off the stage, we lingered around. Hoping to catch him. It just didn't seem right if I didn't meet the man in person. I just wanted to say thank you. Really. After waiting for about half and hour. Like total goons cause we were just standing there talking. More like a prep talk. I was nervous. My friend thought I was being ridiculous. He appeared and I went, "There he is!"

No comments:

Post a Comment